An investigation into a deadly fire in Springfield last week indicates it was likely caused by a space heater. That’s the initial finding of the Springfield Fire Investigation Team. The fire at 901 North 9th Street broke out late Thursday night and killed 4 people, including two teenagers.
A statement released today says remains of a space heater have been found on the first floor of the home. There were no signs of working smoke detectors inside. Forensic tests are still being performed on various items. Foul play is not suspected. The Springfield Fire Chief Ken Fustin says his department won’t rest until the the cause of what he terms “a preventable tragedy” is fully known.