Cellini Gives Up Bid To Remain Free

A former Illinois powerbroker has withdrawn his request to remain free pending appeal of his corruption conviction and will start serving a year-long sentence on Jan. 4.
William Cellini’s one-page filing cites “the stress” the case has put on his family and the 78-year-old’s poor health.
Defense attorney Thomas Kirsch II tells The Associated Press Cellini is considering forgoing any appeal _ even though he believes he would prevail.
Kirsch says the appeals process would take longer than Cellini’s one-year sentence. And he says Cellini and his family now want to put the legal saga behind them as quickly as possible.
Jurors convicted Cellini last year for trying to extort a movie producer for a $1.5 million contribution for then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s campaign. (AP)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comment on this Story

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s